Saturday, May 23, 2009

Karaoke Memory

OK I'm sitting around listening to music drinking coffee on a Saturday morning, and "Sweet Jane" (the Rock 'N' Roll Animal version) comes on iTunes. And I have this memory of a woman named Jane who used to sing karaoke at a dive bar north of Tampa. I would go there with my friends and sing after work. This woman was always there, and she always did the same two songs--"You Oughtta Know" and "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'." We suspected she maybe had some resentment towards some guy. Or guys. Or all men.

Anyway, whenever the Karaoke DJ (KJ?) introduced her, we would cheer like maniacs for "Sweet Jane." (We called her Sweet Jane because we were drunks.)

Once in a suicidal act of bravado, I went over to her, complimented her on her rendition of "These Boots Were Made for Walkin" (which made Nancy Sinatra's sound like a love letter; Sweet Jane's version was castrating) and offered to buy her a drink. The look she gave me was, needless to say, withering.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home